What You Should Know About Mercury

Filed under: Mercury - 17 Feb 2013  | Spread the word !

Mercury is the only metal that is liquid at normal pressure and temperatures. It’s a silvery-white and poisonous metallic element. Mercury is liquid at room temperature and used in thermometers, barometers, flourescent lighting and batteries in the preparation of chemical pesticides.


It’s also called quicksilver or liquid silver, but the chemical symbol for Mercury is Hg. Mercury was named after the Roman god. Mercury is malleable, ductile and is conduct heat.


Mercury is naturally occuring element found in air, water and soil. It exists in a number of differemnt forms:

  • metallic mercury
  • elemental mercury
  • inorganic mercury compounds
  • organic mercury compounds

When it’s dropped, elemental mercury breaks into small droplets. At room temperature, elemntal mercury can evaporate and become invisible and odorless toxic vapor. Exposure and toxicity with mercury can happen when some objects containing mercury can break and expose mercury to the air.


Mercury compounds can be found in antiseptics, disinfectants, fungicides, make up and traditional medicines. In the nature, mercury is a naturally occuring element. Unfortunately, human activities have led to increased amounts of mercury in atmosphere, streams and lakes.

A person’s health will be harmed depending on the form of mercury: if it’s elemental, inorganic compounds, organic compounds, the amount of mercury, tehnature of exposure, the length of exposure.


Methylmercury is a compound that removes from the body naturally, but this can be a slow process. Nonetheless, the effects of mercury cannot happen at all, depending on the things mentioned above. If posiosning happens while women are pregnant, they can give birth with severe disabilities. Mercury can also be found in fish, but at the same time, maintaining a healthy diet is containing fish is also important.

Find Out Where Is Mercury In Your Home

Filed under: Safe Usage Of Liquid Mercury - 04 Feb 2013  | Spread the word !

Mercury is a liquid metal naturally found in soils and rocks, but exposure to it for too long, affects your nervous system, kidneys, causing anxiety, depression, tremors, poor coordination and memory problems. Methylmercury is formed when bacteria in water affect mercury, converting it.


Unfortunately, mercury can be found also in your home, which is very dangerous, mainly if you have kids. The places in your home to look for mercury are the following:

As mercury is solid below -38ºC (above -38ºC it melts into a liquid) and boils into a gas when the temperature rises above 356ºC, it means that in your home it would be found in a liquid state.

The next thing you have to do is to inspect products in your home that have or are likely to have mercury inside. The most common objects that contain mercury are the following:

  • thermostats that control heating
  • air conditioning equipment
  • a few float switches like those used to turn off and on automatically

  • Source

    Additionally, you have to know that even some batteries, outdoor and indoor paint might contain this toxic metal, even inks, grandfather clocks, aircraft calibration tools and even old medical equipment.

    Methylmercury found in fish is one of the most toxic of mercury and can harm your body very much. If you disocver that in your home are objects containing mercury, replace them with some that don’t. Your decision to replace them depends on the age of your objects and their condition.
    with incandescent or LED types. Dental fillings must also be removed and replaced with a free-mercury material.


    Moreover, avoid breakage of the above mentioned objects because mercury that escapes is difficult to retrieve. If this happens, ventilate the area fast and as much as you can, turn off all sources of heat in the area, remove your jewelry, put some gloves and start retrieving the mercury droplets using an eye dropper or a stiff piece of paper.

    Keep in mind to NEVER use a vacuum cleaner or broom to clean up the mercury spill!!!